Monday, August 16, 2010

A Park Ranger's Brand

Since retiring from the National Park Service I have been learning the ins and outs of writing, editing, publishing, and now marketing a book. I thought the writing of a book would be challenging and hard work. What I am now finding is that after self publishing (that means I paid to have the book published) A Park Ranger’s Life: Thirty Two Years Protecting Our National Parks I am now the CEO of a one man marketing venture trying to get word about the book before the reading public. I am learning about the inner workings of:

Publishers
Book Signings
Radio Station Interviews
Newspapers and Press Releases
Magazine Editors
Book Stores
Sales Pitches
Social Media
Blogging
Printing of Marketing Materials (Bookmarks, Business Cards, Posters, Door Magnets, and Banners)
Accounting
Taxes
Branding

I have been fortunate to have guidance through this process from my publisher, Wheatmark Publishing, and a friend with a background in marketing that has been giving me tips and helping to produce ideas and graphics to assist in getting the publics’ eye.
The latest product is a logo to aid in the branding process.



My education and the marketing process continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment