Sunday, July 25, 2010

Book Signing at the Peaks of Otter - A Great Evening

The book signing at the Peaks of Otter Lodge on the Blue Ridge Parkway this past Friday was a success and a good time for all. I got to meet with several people who had already enjoyed my book and many other new and future fans.

My highlights as an author for the evening were when a reader named Ben stopped by to have his previously purchased book signed and share with me how much he enjoyed the book. Ben also asked several great questions about changes I had seen in the Park Service and which supervisors had the most positive impact on my career.

Another family bought a copy of my book and went back to their Lodge room to rest up before attacking the restaurant buffet. While in their room they read two chapters aloud to their young daughters. The entire family enjoyed the reading so much that they came back to my table to share their enthusiasm and have the girls’ photo taken with me.

I also got the chance to catch up with some old friends and even had two guest appearances by still working park rangers from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

For my wife and I the evening was made complete by enjoying the impressive seafood buffet put on by the Peaks of Otter Lodge before heading home.

I hope to return to the Peaks of Otter Lodge for another book event in the fall. In the mean time, visitors can still find signing copies of my book, A Park Ranger’s Life: Thirty Two Years Protecting Our National Parks in the Lodge Gift Shop.
The Peaks of Otter Lodge Gift Shop and an early guest

With Park Ranger Zeph Cunningham with whom I spent many exciting ranger experiences with during my career.

Speaking with an enthusiastic fan who had already read my book

My partner in crime for 33 years, Linda helped work our table and spoke with visitors throughout the evening. One couple bought a copy because they were impressed with the husband and wife teamwork that evening. I would not have written this book nor had the career I did without the support and love of Linda.

No comments:

Post a Comment